Thursday, August 14, 2008

New Car

"My friends all have Porsches, I must make amends..."

Batmobile is getting a new sister. Wayne told me yesterday that she came off the boat in Baltimore and is on her way to Devon on a truck. It's not that Batmobile minded being an only car, but she often felt lonely. If you went into the garage at night, you could just tell.

I will be glad to complete this transaction and be rid of Wayne. I dislike most salesmen, Wayne being no exception. Within minutes of meeting us, he pulled a hardcover book from his desk drawer and showed us the Ranier family tree, pointing out that he was once married to Ranier's sister's daughter and therefore has a son who is a wealthy baron. That's very interesting....Wayne is a car salesman in Devon, Pa., and his son is a wealthy baron in Monaco.

Although showing patience is not my strong suit and I become bored easily, I managed to restrain myself. I generally find such situations intolerable and interrupt and distract until I can get the person across from me back on track. I need to get to the bottom line quickly. Jerry told me afterward that I was unusally well behaved, congenial and restrained, for a change. I rolled my eyes only a few times, took the key and tested a brand new car which had only five miles on the odometer. I was able to turn the ignition, put the car in reverse and drive....and drive....but the many gadgets were mysteries to me. Driving on the back roads was exhilerating--smooth and fast....I pressed down with my foot, accelerating until I noticed in the mirror the police car tailgating me. I pressed the brake and trembled, beside myself with fear. Jerry said, "Relax," but I couldn't. I looked desperately for a road to turn off, but there was none, just driveways leading up to big houses. Eventually, the officer turned right, and my heart beat slowed to a normal rate. Too late. I felt so unnerved that I turned back and returned the car. "I'll take it. I want it now," I told Wayne. It is extravagant, sure, but so what. It's on the way.

And now comes the waiting which, according to Tom Petty, is the hardest part.

No comments: