Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ferris Wheel




James on the right (in blue shirt), Matt on the left. My child pleads that I go on the ride too....I give in....and white-knuckle it....break out in a sweat as soon as we go up and thoroughly question some of the absurd choices I make...the introspection one-hundred feet in the air distracts me from the mania on the ground below and the hysteria I feel so high up....

The annual pilgrimage to the Kimberton Fair, this time on a warm Friday night....a must for the children, but the adults could easily go without. As always, an enormous array of people from all walks of life, some with teeth, some without....the cows look good, sweet and placid, smell of manure wafting through the air...and the sheep, awaiting their turns in the ring, wear white outfits, including hoods with holes cut out for their eyes. Kathy asks why, and I suggest they are clansmen--or sheep of clansmen--and, of course, the signs on their cages state they are from Berks County farms, so undoubtedly....

We succumb eventually to the crowds, and I accordingly refuse to wait on the very long donut line, so we leave empty-handed...that was disappointing, sure, but there's always next year....

No comments: